Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The steaks are getting high (temperature).

NINE DAYS -- we're into the single digits! I can't believe our Baby Bun is *actually* almost here! Of course, I don't love change, so I try to do a few things at the same time together so they camouflage each other. Previous examples:

  • Moved to Boston and started a new job (I suppose these were directly related, but within six months of getting engaged)
  • Got married and started a new job (unrelated, and it was awkward stumbling over my own (new) name during introductions)

This week, at 38.5 weeks pregnant, I started a new job. I've learned a ton over the last three years from my job and team, but I'm ready for a new adventure (because the next few months were looking as though they could use some livening up...).

There were definitely moments when I doubted my ability to start anything else new right now, but with a lot of encouragement from family and friends (including an avalanche of much-appreciated text messages/outreach on my first day), things are off to a great start! I'm also very grateful that my new company is so understanding of the situation -- in times when you can't take this sort of thing for granted, I know (sadly) how lucky I am. I'm also extremely lucky that Nick is used to my "change clustering" behavior and has, as usual, encouraged and supported me every step of the way.

Of course, over the course of nearly ten years working, I've been perfecting my not-sad-desk-lunch technique. The silver lining of the pregnancy-mandated well-done steak is that it can be eaten cold as a great next-day salad. I'm the kind of person who finds many salads to be unfulfilling by themselves, but greens can be a superb vehicle for fruit, cheese and leftover meats or ancient grains -- no recipe needed. In this case, I took some backyard tomatoes (we rescued a few handfuls from the chipmunks!) and added cheddar cheese, leftover steak, avocado and greens, and dressed them in a simple vinaigrette (1:1 balsamic: olive oil, with salt and pepper). Bonus points for throwing in a few handfuls of leftover cooked farro.


Baby Bun, we are so excited to meet you -- our lives are about to change forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment